Monday, March 29, 2010

Madeleine Albright, where have you been all of my life?

My aunt gave me a ticket to see Madeleine Albright speak at Clowes Hall last week. I accepted, but only out of courtesy for my aunt since she offered and I had no better excuse. I did not expect to walk out of Clowes seeing things differently than when I walked in. It cued me in that this woman was a much bigger deal than I was making her out to be when my twelve year old cousin remarked that she had been named after Madeleine. I was shocked. But when the first female Secretary of State began to speak, I realized what an awesome woman she truly was.



What does this have to do with journalism or education? Well, Ms. Albright has everything to do with both! As an important female figure in America, she is represented by the media in many different aspects. She represents a portion of America that is seeing their rights being given slowly and steadily: women. Ms. Albright spoke about the importance of education and how it plays into the role of women. When she became a mother, she spoke about how difficult it was to cater to different segments of life. Women have different segments in their life because of what is expected of them. Holding a degree that allows us to work in a profession and staying at home to raise children often conflict, but we are able to do it. Albright represents hard-working determined women, but also is so socially conscious that she must be able to speak to the public about anything and everything whenever she is called upon.



She is truly an inspiration for all women: mothers, professionals, public figures, young girls, female politicians, teachers/professors, and any other label you can put on determined women.

No comments:

Post a Comment